Children's summer holidays are about to begin, meaning more holidays, BBQ's, picinis, summer outings, playing in the park and summer walks. Making yourselves and your children more vulnerable to tick bites.
Be one step ahead.
Be Lyme Smart.
Here's 10 facts you want to be clued up on.
1. Lyme is a world-wide infectious disease. 25% of reported cases are children being infected.
2. Lyme is transmitted through ticks. Ticks are the size of a poppy seed.
3. More than 50% of people affected don't come out in a bullseye rash.
4. Common symptoms include 'flu' like symptoms; sore throat, aches, joint pain, headaches ( migraines ), memory loss, vision impairment and digestive issues.
5. Lyme bacteria is hard to detect & treat. Which is why it is becoming known at the hidden epidemic.
6. Lyme is called the great imitator as a lot of the time it stays undetected by being diagnosed as Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Lupus and Bells to name just a few.
7. Health insurance does not and will not cover you over Lyme!
8. The most common test is the ELISA test however this still isn't sensitive enough to pick up Lyme bacteria in most cases. The Western blot test is prefer. With the number one lab being the IGenex lab in Palo Alto.
9. If you suspect you have Lyme, contact a LLMD, (Lyme Literate Medical Doctor). Informative websites on the disease: www.ilads.org, www.lymedisease.org, www.lymediseaseassociation.org, www.igenex.com, www.underourskin.com.
If you are bitten at all and you get a reaction in some way. Contact you GP and get it seen to immediately.
10. You have a 4 week window after being biten where antibiotics are effective and can kill the bacteria. Once the month is over the batcteria move into your cells, tissues & organs. Now you have become a chronic Lyme warrior. Unfortunately the bacteria is now with you for life. Antibiotics may stop the bacteria reproducing for a while or numb them but relapsing occur frequently. The bacteria will continue to fight you and your organs will constantly be under attack & threat.
Remember if you do get biten, whether it comes up in a bullseye rash or you simply feel a little off. Just because you haven't come out in a rash or got serious symptoms does not mean you have not been infected. Get checked out. It's best to be safe!!
You don't want to find yourself suffering from chronic Lyme - it is the worst! I wouldn't wish is upon my worst enemy.
One bite could seriously turn your life upside down.
When you pass it off as nothing- please, please just take a moment. Think about being unable to eat your fave foods, being allergic to your bedding, waking up every morning feeling hungover and unable to feel your arms, endless migraines, unbearable aches, weakness, confusion, upset stomach, blurred vision and more.
To busy? Haven't got the time?
A GP appointment take 10 minutes of your time.
Chronic Lyme takes every second, every minute of your life.
I hope you all take this issue seriously and be more aware and alert to ticks and bites.
Thank you for reading.
Feeling sluggish and rubbish when you have woken up? Get boosting up on bananas the more the better - they will help settle your stomach, boosting digestion, they are a mood enhancer, they will give you the energy you need and keep you full. Buy my book for banana receipe ideas.
Wake up every morning and ATLEAST have one glass of lemon water before doing anything else! Ideally try to drink a litre of water. The lemon wakes up your digestive system ready for the day and has great cleansing properties.
Check your dairy and meat intake - dairy can sit in your system for up to seven days unable to digest properly. Meaning other foods also get neglected and nurtients aren't absorbed properly and you feel extremely bloated. Go and smell your food bin, your stomach will be in that state. Rotting foods in your belly - hmm nice.
DO NOT FEAR CARBS - THEY ARE NOT THE ENEMY! CARB UP!!
Bananas, Rice, Potatoes, Leafy Greens, Corn, Beans, Lentils etc PACK THEM IN GO MAD.
NEVER COUNT CALORIES - NEVER RESTRICT!! These restriction 'starvation' diets who tell you to only eat 500 calories a day then have a treat day - where you binge out and eat WAY too much, is simply messing up your metabolism and on your binge days yours body stores all the fat meaning you gain weight because it knows it is going to go back into starvation mode and needs to hold onto every little thing it can. HELLO WEIGHT GAIN.
Life is too short not to live it to the full, making yourself happy.