Autumn officially begins tomorrow and with that comes colder weather, coughs and colds spreading like wild fire among us.
We are all advised to go and get our flu vaccines as soon as possible to protect ourselves over the colder winter season.
Though the flu vaccine could do more damage than good in some people. Especially if you are suffering from a chronic disease and your immune system is already overworked and suppressed. Adding more fuel to the fire only causing the immune system to struggle further so is unable to fight the virus allowing it to take hold on your body and make you very poorly.
What is the medical advice?
Please tell you GP prior to your vaccine;
- if you have suffered a reaction from a previous flu vaccine.
- you are allergic to eggs and egg products.
- you have a serious illness, infection or feeling feverish.
- you are taking immunosuppressive therapy.
After your vaccination;
Most people don't suffer a reaction from the vaccine however;
- if you get a sore arm, a cold flannel will help with the discomfort.
- if you get a fever you should drink plenty of fluids. Fever lowering medication, such as paracetamol or ibuprofen which will hopefully help reduce your temperature.
- if your symptoms persist over 48 hours after your injection you should contact your GP or nurse.
All the above infomation is provided by Pfizer and is sent out to many of you.
Every year for a long time I have moaned to my Mum about having the flu jab as I always felt worse all winter after receiving it- ( on-going colds, losing my voice, aches and sinus problems ). My Mum would argue with me that it was for the best to have it and she couldn't afford me to be coming down with a bad case of flu. So I always had it.
Now, after being diagnosed with Lyme and realising that my immune system is to suppressed to fight off extra viruses and that is why I always got poorly from my vaccine I won't be getting the vaccine this year.
It is advised that not only people suffering from Lyme but people suffering with chronic diseases that suppress the immune system to avoid having the jab for their own health.
On the Lyme discussion group people share their hellish stories of being sick for weeks even months after just a simple jab. Like I have been in the years that have passed.
I am not saying the flu vaccine isn't life saving! As for many it very much is. Yet nurses and GP should be ensuring that they advise against the vaccine more strongly if you do suffer from a suppressed immune system. As it isn't explained clear enough. I had to figure this out on my own due to the Lyme not being recognised. Cancer, AID etc sufferers should be advised against having the vaccines and have the reasons why explained too.
Never, ever! Was I ever told about the jab containing egg and this is the same for many products. They contain; wheat, dairy, lactose, yeast, gluten, egg etc. Though GPs just seem to prescribe these med's and vaccines without doing clear background checks. A number of times I have been given medicine that are filled with things I am intolerant too, meaning they would make me more poorly not better.
What is going on with the system?
We can nolonger rely on the health professionals to heal us and help us. They are over-run, overworked, overwhelmed and this unfortunately leads to negligence.
We have to do our own research.
If you are unsure or questioning treatment, your condition, vaccines, travel, protection, treatment packages, finances for medical care I strongly advise you to do your own research.
This can be in many form;
- talking to fellow patients
- joining support groups
- informing nurses and local doctors if your health records change ( new allergies, different medications etc )
- reading books
- researching 'treatment' methods being carried aboard
- talk to family and friends
- look closer into treatments and medications
We have to be our own hero's and protect ourselves.
So what the hell am I supposed to do? I hear you scream.
It's important to support the immune system in anywaywe possibly can.
Eat fresh, whole foods that are rich in nutrients.
Also it is very wise to supplement vitamin C and vitamin D. They will help strengthen your immune system. They are inexpensive and easily accessible. Holland and Barrett have an amazing range.
Avoid, processed, junk foods that suppress the immune system further.
Regular bloods area good idea to ensure that your nurtient levels are where they should be to support the immune system.
- iron levels
- b12 levels
- vitamin C and D
- magnesium levels
- zinc levels
As well as checking your red and white blood count. You may need extra support if these levels are low. As low levels can single that the immune system is struggling and you need to nip things in the bud, take control before you become very poorly.
Listen to your body!
Your body will signal when it's struggling or running low on nurtients and minerals. I have done many blogs on minerals and the affects on the body when we are low on them.
Many low levels lead to symptoms such as;
- flu like symptoms
- aches and pains
- stomach upsets and digestion issues
- general illness
Plus many more. Listen to your body's alarms and take note.
The pills to swallow;
- the flu vaccine isn't for everyone! Look back at the previous years you have had the jab. Have you felt better or worse? Do you suffer with chronic illness or allergies?
- we are responsible for our own health. We all complain of the neglect and lack of help from the medical professionals. Complaining won't heal you though! Motivation, drive and research will though. Don't just sit and wait for a day that may never come. Get digging and fighting for yourself.
- invest in supplements. Whether you are chronically ill or not unfortunately nearly the whole population are deficient in a number of vitamins. This is due to our foods these days not being as fresh and processed so all the minerals have been sucked out and replaced with additives. Causing inflammation in the body and starving it of the nurtients it needs.
- keep your records up to date. Have you recently begun struggling with dairy ? Let you doctor's know, don't just ignore these important facts. You may be on medications making you worse or be prescribed something that will work against you.
- monitor symptoms. A lot of the time we are ignored and pushed out the door with little or no answers. Monitor your own symptoms so nothing is missed or glazed over when seeing a doctor.
- keep records. Keep records of medications you are on and the effects, viruses you have had in the past, symptoms, pain, allergies, procedures, hospitals you have been treated at, test and blood results. You can't go into battle with no weapons now can you? Be prepared and show your doctor the evidence and info they need.
- be sensible. You are feeling under the weather? Don't go out in the cold for hours and hour freezing to death. Avoid meeting & seeing people who have recently come down with a virus. Wrap up and keep warm, not striking in the snow or anything wild! 😅
- drink plenty of fluids and eat fresh foods. Limit processed foods & drinks and opt for fresh, nutrient loaded food and drinks. Drinking plenty is essential for flushing out toxins and foods such as lemons, garlic and so on can support this process.
I hope this advice is helpful.
If you want any further advice or are now really confused what to do about your flu jab I will try and help you in anyway I can.
Don't let flu bully you!
Bullies are cowards afterall and we are warriors!
Feeling sluggish and rubbish when you have woken up? Get boosting up on bananas the more the better - they will help settle your stomach, boosting digestion, they are a mood enhancer, they will give you the energy you need and keep you full. Buy my book for banana receipe ideas.
Wake up every morning and ATLEAST have one glass of lemon water before doing anything else! Ideally try to drink a litre of water. The lemon wakes up your digestive system ready for the day and has great cleansing properties.
Check your dairy and meat intake - dairy can sit in your system for up to seven days unable to digest properly. Meaning other foods also get neglected and nurtients aren't absorbed properly and you feel extremely bloated. Go and smell your food bin, your stomach will be in that state. Rotting foods in your belly - hmm nice.
DO NOT FEAR CARBS - THEY ARE NOT THE ENEMY! CARB UP!!
Bananas, Rice, Potatoes, Leafy Greens, Corn, Beans, Lentils etc PACK THEM IN GO MAD.
NEVER COUNT CALORIES - NEVER RESTRICT!! These restriction 'starvation' diets who tell you to only eat 500 calories a day then have a treat day - where you binge out and eat WAY too much, is simply messing up your metabolism and on your binge days yours body stores all the fat meaning you gain weight because it knows it is going to go back into starvation mode and needs to hold onto every little thing it can. HELLO WEIGHT GAIN.
Life is too short not to live it to the full, making yourself happy.