Since really beginning my healing journey my family and I do a lot of research and shopping around to find products to make my life easier.
I wanted to mention them in the blog today as I have really had to begin tailoring my life around using them and they help me so much. I don’t know what I did without them.
- Memory foam slippers: ok! I know these sound very odd but when your feet are burning ( one of Lyme’s many symptoms) they make walking a lot more bareable. They cushion your feet just perfectly. To make things even better they are from Primark so very affordable and they are machine washable. I need another pair as when mine are being washed I miss them like crazy.
- Air Ram Vaccum Cleaner: this light weight hoover is a lifesaver. Especially for a spoonie living alone you can’t just ask a spouse or a roommate to share or do the hoover chore with or for you and your house needs hoovering. Air Ram are expensive and I know there are ones cheaper on the market but I highly recommend Air Ram and encourage you to purchase a light weight hoover it will for sure make anyone’s life easier whether you suffer with chronic illness or not.
- Table Ironing Board: I have only recently invested in one of these. I had never seen or heard of them before we went round Morrison’s last week but this is a seriously good investment. Lifting a large heavy ironing board up narrow stairs was never an easy task and was one I dreaded. Now this small ironing board can be kept within reach, is light weight and easier to move around.
- Wheel Shopping Bag: yes these are more designed and catered towards the elderly but who said a 23 year old can’t rock one! Frankly I don’t care whether I look weird and odd having one of these. It mays I don’t have to lift heavy bags, I can just pull my shopping along with ease. Shopping is a zapping exercise for me as it is! So any extra support really helps. Who cares what people think anyway? If they don’t understand the situation then that’s their problem. These trolley’s are around £30 but are worth the investment.
- Steam bags: these are in my kitchen already? You may question. Though steam bags seem just normal and easily accessible and they are which is another amazing point they save washing up and excess stress. You can steam, potatoes and all veggies just for a few minutes in the microwave. Giving you perfectly cooked veggies, no washing up and it’s super fast! A spoonie’s dream! Life saving!
- Eco: Eco are a plant-based cleaning company that do a wide range of cleaning products and washing up liquids. When flare ups are worse and / or your intolerances are becoming worse these are a great product to use. All made from plants they have less toxins in which could heighten symptoms and make you worse.
- Loose Trousers: these are life savers. Easy to wear, comfortable and light weight. They don’t take a lot of energy pulling them on and make the task of getting ready so much easier. These may be slightly more difficult to find at the moment due to the winter season beginning and thicker clothes coming out. If you can find them though, definitely purchase some. Their light weight material means they don’t irritated your skin which when you are suffering from Lyme you often have rashes that are easily affected by materials. The last thing you want to be doing is itching all day - you have better things to think about. For me the biggest issue was getting up and dressed in the morning. I always feel worse in a morning and the thought of getting up and getting dressed haunts me. Knowing that I have a comfy, easy outfit ready gives me such peace of mind. I live in these trousers now. Like I say- there may not be many around presently due to the season. I purchased mine from Primark, Debenhams and TKMax. So take a look in those stores. They are fab! You can get trousers that are day comfy trousers as well as more formal trousers. It makes picking an outfit easier and allows you to feel far more comfortable when going out.
- Palmer’s Shampoo & Conditior: made with coconut oil, these products are perfect for spoonie’s who are intolerant to many things.
Many hair, bath and face products contain gluten and milk. So ensure you check the labels. As these products can cause great irritation. Don’t risk the pain. Play safe.
- Light Weight Duvets- I love my duck feather duvet but gosh is it heavy. When getting up and down to the toilet in the night it doesn’t make life easy. I have recently changed my duvet to a goose feathered, light weight one by Next and it’s so much lighter and makes it a lot easier getting in and out of it. It also isn’t as heavy on my body, reducing irritation to my skin! Invest in yours now!
- Squashy Pillows: hard, mould to the body pillows just don’t work then your joints and spine are beyond painful. Pillows made with real feathers and are squashy bring ultimate comfort to a spoonie. Again they may be a little more expensive but if it saves you crying yourself to sleep in pain then it’s worth every penny!!
- Candles: Candles are everywhere and easily accessible. They don’t just help your home smell nice but they are calming too. With Lyme I have lost some of my sense of smell and taste. I always panic I can’t smell if my house 🏠 smells off or whether it smells beautiful. So the use of candles gives me peace of mind that you will all experience a nice smell when walking through my door. The scene they set too really helps you relax. When you feel sick and trying to watch telly, you don’t want harsh light that dut to Lyme anyway you can’t tolerate. Candles give you the light without it being too bright, lovely calming smells and a chilled atmosphere.
- Automatic Movement Sensored Hall Light: bought from Homebase, my plug in hall light is a life saver. Insomnia means that I am often up and about through the night getting herbal teas and so on. Even when you can’t sleep though you can still often feel sleepy and can’t always find or remember to put the light on. My hall light, as soon as I open my bedroom door, senses me and turns on. No hassle, no searching the walls with your hands trying to find the light switch, no falling down the stairs unable to see. My light is pink - of course. There is a white and blue light in this product too. We paid a sale price of £10 but regardless of the price I really do encourage you to purchase this product.
More helpful products you may want to invest in and ones I have my eyes on which I may require in the future:
- remote control lights
- dimmer lights
- stair lifts
- video camera door bell
There are many more.
What products do you use or do you have any advice you can share on products you have heard are useful.
None of us want to have to think about comfort over trends, ease over expense, pain over looks and so on. As spoonie’s though you frankly reach the point where you don’t care! You just need and require that helping hand. That hand can change so much for you and make your life so much easier.
I hope the above has helped you and if you have any questions, don’t heisitate to ask.
Feeling sluggish and rubbish when you have woken up? Get boosting up on bananas the more the better - they will help settle your stomach, boosting digestion, they are a mood enhancer, they will give you the energy you need and keep you full. Buy my book for banana receipe ideas.
Wake up every morning and ATLEAST have one glass of lemon water before doing anything else! Ideally try to drink a litre of water. The lemon wakes up your digestive system ready for the day and has great cleansing properties.
Check your dairy and meat intake - dairy can sit in your system for up to seven days unable to digest properly. Meaning other foods also get neglected and nurtients aren't absorbed properly and you feel extremely bloated. Go and smell your food bin, your stomach will be in that state. Rotting foods in your belly - hmm nice.
DO NOT FEAR CARBS - THEY ARE NOT THE ENEMY! CARB UP!!
Bananas, Rice, Potatoes, Leafy Greens, Corn, Beans, Lentils etc PACK THEM IN GO MAD.
NEVER COUNT CALORIES - NEVER RESTRICT!! These restriction 'starvation' diets who tell you to only eat 500 calories a day then have a treat day - where you binge out and eat WAY too much, is simply messing up your metabolism and on your binge days yours body stores all the fat meaning you gain weight because it knows it is going to go back into starvation mode and needs to hold onto every little thing it can. HELLO WEIGHT GAIN.
Life is too short not to live it to the full, making yourself happy.