A chronic, unknown, hidden and dismissed illness that is debilitating and extremely dangerous.
We all need to know more about it, so here are a few facts;
1. Only 50 per cent get a bullseye rash.
2. Chronic Lyme is deemed a myth and health professionals until just recently felt it didn’t exist. Yet they still refuse to accept chronic Lyme as a condition but refer to on-going symptoms of Lyme as post-Lyme.
3. Testing is not always reliable. The bacteria can hide itself and the NICE guidelines have put positive Lyme levels higher when testing so many receive negative results when really they have Lyme.
4. Here in the UK we use the Western Blot test which is second to last on the most reliable form of testing. Armin labs use the Elispot test which is 2nd on the most reliable form of testing list. Yet, the NHS refuse to accept test carried out abroad.
5. UCLA in America have just been granted $80,000 to do further research on Lyme. For better testings and treatments to be created.
6. Every case is unique: we all have different co-infections and due to this we all have different treatments that work for us. We have to play the game of Russian roulette to see what treatment helps and stabilises our condition.
7. Treatments are expensive : costing thousands.
8. You have a month’s window when you first become infected to get treated: if you get treated within the first month you are most likely to kill off the bacteria as they are still in your bloodstream. Once they are in your cells and organs, they begin changing your DNA and hiding from your immune system.
9. Everyday can present new symptoms : it’s full of surprises! You aren’t going mad, the bacteria is just finding new ways to tourment the body.
10. Full moon will effect you: the bacteria’s reproductive cycle runs alongside the full moon cycle. Due to gravity, tidal levels and temperatures when it’s the full moon it creates the ideal atmosphere for the bacteria to grow and thrive! Heightened symptoms and feeling a lot worse is a given.
11. A clever disease: treatments often have to be changed and may give you relief for a few months but then the bacteria finds new ways to attack the body and survive.
We must change and adapt our protocols around the active Lyme.
12. Not just one deadly virus & bacteria: you are infected with a number of co-infections! You also have to receive treatment for those as they too can be danger diseases.
18. You become someone you don’t know: you don’t control your body anymore. You can’t simply sit down and eat an energy bar then all the pain goes and you are running up the wall. You can’t think clearly or be as sharp as you want to be.
You become someone you detest and don’t know.
19. Lyme is now becoming a bigger epidemic than HIV: remember the HIV crisis- we are heading that way with Lyme because of medical ignorance.
20. So many doctors have lost their licenses and have been sued by insurance companies: because theinsurance companies don’t want chronic Lyme to be seen as an illness because they don’t want to pay out for all the expensive treatment. So the take all the doctors who try to treat Lyme to court.
21.The NHS: uses millions of tax payers money to sue medical professionals that treat Lyme !!
They lose every time!!! But why use our money to fight a problem that they should be treating and using the money for!! They are already overwhelmed, they should be thankful to the private clinics who do treat Lyme because they aren’t relying & draining NHS resources.
22. Crazy: Lyme doesn’t exist and your symptoms do not fit the text book brief, so you must be crazy, attention seeking and a drama queen. I don’t know a Lyme sufferer who hasn’t been called crazy.
23. A new jab: Lyme doesn’t exist yet in Boston they are creating a jab to prevent Lyme!! It will be around £145 and will be required to have every Spring. To prevent you from getting Lyme! People already infected can’t and won’t be able to use this jab as it won’t work.
24. Its a lonely disease where you have to do ALL your own research to try and aid your recovery because you are left in no-mans land. Treatment are expensive and can’t be carried out all of the time, you are dismissed and called crazy not just by doctors but for many their friends and family too, you begin to isolate yourself because you don’t have the energies to socialise and enjoy life.
You may have known some of these facts. Some may be new to you.
My illness and for all people who suffer with this disease the list above could go on.
We fight everyday and never have a rest period. Hopefully in time our voices will be heard and a cure finally found.
I hope you found this post useful and enjoyed.
Feeling sluggish and rubbish when you have woken up? Get boosting up on bananas the more the better - they will help settle your stomach, boosting digestion, they are a mood enhancer, they will give you the energy you need and keep you full. Buy my book for banana receipe ideas.
Wake up every morning and ATLEAST have one glass of lemon water before doing anything else! Ideally try to drink a litre of water. The lemon wakes up your digestive system ready for the day and has great cleansing properties.
Check your dairy and meat intake - dairy can sit in your system for up to seven days unable to digest properly. Meaning other foods also get neglected and nurtients aren't absorbed properly and you feel extremely bloated. Go and smell your food bin, your stomach will be in that state. Rotting foods in your belly - hmm nice.
DO NOT FEAR CARBS - THEY ARE NOT THE ENEMY! CARB UP!!
Bananas, Rice, Potatoes, Leafy Greens, Corn, Beans, Lentils etc PACK THEM IN GO MAD.
NEVER COUNT CALORIES - NEVER RESTRICT!! These restriction 'starvation' diets who tell you to only eat 500 calories a day then have a treat day - where you binge out and eat WAY too much, is simply messing up your metabolism and on your binge days yours body stores all the fat meaning you gain weight because it knows it is going to go back into starvation mode and needs to hold onto every little thing it can. HELLO WEIGHT GAIN.
Life is too short not to live it to the full, making yourself happy.