Chronic illness is deemed negative and yes, it’s far from ideal but we have to find the positives within the negatives. So we find purpose to keep fighting.
1. Your DNA and cells are changed: you become a different person but my Hod you become stronger than you ever believed.
2. You have to do your own research: you are your own doctor and as well as fighting your illness you have to spend the hours learning how to help the healing process.
3. Being judged as crazy: you are complex , unique - who wants to be the same!
4. You lose friends: it’s a hard pill to swallow and not cool having a poorly friend but you make new, amazing friends. Friends who are simply strong enough to fight with you and people who are in the same boat as you.
5. You lose hobbies: but you take up others.
6. Treatments are expensive: but they stabilise me and help give me a little more time.
7. You spend a lot of time ‘resting’: I like being productive and active. This isn’t reality anymore. So I spend my time being mental productive through my research & through my poetry and blogs.
8. A huge strain on the family: but it makes you stronger and closer.
9. You lose memories and moments: Black outs are heartbreaking. But it makes you take more pictures so you can always look back.
10. You miss out: you miss out on my adventures but you can do things in your own style.
11. Planning in advance: you can’t just ‘go with the flow’. But planning helps give you something to look forward to and get excited about, in the run up to the actual event.
12. Heartbroken: your pain leaves you feeling heartbroken a lot of the time. But it’s a heart of gold.
13. Gratitude is a must: it helps you become less materialistic and realise what really matters. You are thankful for the little things and become a better person about of it.
14. Treatments are on-going: pills and more pills fill your life. It allows you to keep sane and living however.
15. Endless pain: pain never fades but your pain threshold gains so much strength and you tolerate high levels of pain.
16. Adapting: nothing is ever straight forward but the hurdles make you adapt, appriecate and grow.
17. I’m no longer normal: I can’t compare myself to others!! As they aren’t battling the same illness we myself. Helps you appreciate you.
18. You have to learn your body: you really have to be in tune with your body. That’s never a bad habit to practise.
19. Self blame: you punish and blame yourself over your illness. You aren’t to blame.. focus this negative energy in driving motivation to fight this illness.
20. Judgments: everyone will judge. Use the negative judgements in a positive way to prove people wrong.
21. You aren’t as sharp: you may not be as sharp but you can still be beyond creative. Some of the most amazing creative projects are far from perfect but they are made with passion and love.
22. Never perfect: you colouring may not be as good, your poems may not be as long but that doesn’t mean they aren’t amazing. They still express passion, love and skill.
23. You have to be truthful: you have to be open with loved ones about your condition, pain and feelings. So then you don’t battle alone and everyone knows the score.
24. There is no present cure: there is no cure but it doesn’t mean you can’t keep fighting and fight for a cure for the furture to save lives.
We are surrounded by negatives in our lives and throughout our lives we have tougher periods. It’s important for our own sanity that we keep positive and keep fighting strong.
I hope you have enjoyed my 24 birthday week.
Thank you for reading and your on-going support. It means so much to me!
Some pictures that help describe the daily pain...
Feeling sluggish and rubbish when you have woken up? Get boosting up on bananas the more the better - they will help settle your stomach, boosting digestion, they are a mood enhancer, they will give you the energy you need and keep you full. Buy my book for banana receipe ideas.
Wake up every morning and ATLEAST have one glass of lemon water before doing anything else! Ideally try to drink a litre of water. The lemon wakes up your digestive system ready for the day and has great cleansing properties.
Check your dairy and meat intake - dairy can sit in your system for up to seven days unable to digest properly. Meaning other foods also get neglected and nurtients aren't absorbed properly and you feel extremely bloated. Go and smell your food bin, your stomach will be in that state. Rotting foods in your belly - hmm nice.
DO NOT FEAR CARBS - THEY ARE NOT THE ENEMY! CARB UP!!
Bananas, Rice, Potatoes, Leafy Greens, Corn, Beans, Lentils etc PACK THEM IN GO MAD.
NEVER COUNT CALORIES - NEVER RESTRICT!! These restriction 'starvation' diets who tell you to only eat 500 calories a day then have a treat day - where you binge out and eat WAY too much, is simply messing up your metabolism and on your binge days yours body stores all the fat meaning you gain weight because it knows it is going to go back into starvation mode and needs to hold onto every little thing it can. HELLO WEIGHT GAIN.
Life is too short not to live it to the full, making yourself happy.